Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

08 July 2004

I saw Cats at the Muny!

A couple friends got to meet Ken Page, who reprised his role as Old Deuteronomy, and got his autograph and those of a couple other actors. I wanted to, but I figured the actors were tired and wanted to go rest, so I just hung back. But I did get to see Ken Page, not upclose but close enough, and that was enough for me. He's a local boy, which had to be neat for him. I mean, repeising a tole that you originated in your hometown. That must have been good for him.

I saw one of my brothers-in-law and his family. We all landed in the free seats and passed around binoculars. Mom had also packed us up with food and drinkage. The performance was excellent. Judy McLane portrayed Grizabella wonderfully. She gave me chills with the lines, "Touch me! It's so easy to leave me alone with the memories of my days in the sun." They did Growltiger's Last Stand, which I had never seen before, and that was excellent. Lar's sister-in-law was gaga over Jim Newman as Munkustrap. Some of Von's guy friends were very impressed with The Rum Tum Tugger, as played by David Hibbard. Overall, I was pleased with the whole thing. The bathroom line was ridiculous, and I missed the first 8-10 minutes of the second act as a result, but other than that, it was a good night.

I would love to be in musical theatre, especially Cats, if I could get away with it. I've got the acting down pretty good, and I can be an expressive singer. However, I cannot carry the bucket the tune is in, I had a rough time trying to get my choreography down for the two high school musicals I did, and I'm not that flexible. I'm taking a voice class this next semester to see how well I can do, and if I do okay, I might take Voice II after that, but it all depends. My mom says my tones are good, but I don't always get the notes right. I concur! That's why I'm taking the class; to better myself. As for dancing, I think I could do well. The problem I see is that a lot of the dancing one sees in theatre is probably ballet, or has some balletesque feel to it, and I'm not so sure I could do that well. But hey, one can imagine.

No comments: