Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

04 November 2007

So it's a day or so late...

Yesterday Mira took me to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery to visit the graves of my mom's parents and my dad's mom. (By the way, Moueska and Athene, I saw your grandfather as well. He says hi. ^_^) I hadn't been there since nana's passing, and that was almost four years ago. I didn't think about it until after the fact, but we were there the day after Dia de los Muertos, which is celebrated on the first two days of November in Mexico and Mexican communities. It's basically a celebration that honors the dead.

I know that my grandparents aren't at the cemetery, even though their mortal bodies are, but it's a nice way to reconnect with them and think about the lives they led. My grandfathers fought in WWII, Papa in the Air Force and Grandpa in the Army. Nana was a communications worker in Ireland and Grandma worked in an ammunition factory (which was recently torn down). My Grandpa is still alive, and the next time I visit JB will probably be after he's gone. But I hope to visit more often.

No comments: