Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

03 October 2005


Rest in peace, litle guy

I felt Mira get up earlier than usual this morning.

"Well, I'm awake" he said, and went into the other room. I was hoping to get back to sleep, but then he came back in.

"T, I think Popcorn is dead. He's lying on his side and not moving."

For the longest time, I've held my breath when I've gone to see him, just in case. I wasn't sure how I was going to react, since he'd always been alive when I'd seen him. There was no mistaking that he had passed on when Mira brought him into the bedroom in his tube so I could see him.

I must have held him for a half hour or so, stroking his soft fur and talking to him, telling him how much I loved him, and reliving some of the moments I remember with him. Like when we took him outside this summer and let him run around.

We buried him in our yard in his cardboard tube, not far from the sliding glass door so I can look out and see his grave if I want. We may or may not get another hamster. I have a big bag of bedding, a wheel, a waterbottle, and a bag of seeds and a bag of pellets. I used to say that when he died, if I had a lot of stuff left (which I do), then we'd go ahead and get another one; but if I had a little bit left, I'd give it to Jess or somebody else with hammies. But now I'm not so sure. I think I want to wait a while to get another, but I don't want to wait too long so the food doesn't go bad. I guess we'd better decide soon.

Goodbye little guy. The year and almost three months we had together were fun (9 July 2004 - 3 October 2005). I'm gonna miss you.

3 comments:

Von said...

Aww, T, I'm so sorry. *hugs*

Jess said...

I know how hard it is. Sometines having a new one can help you cope, but it's a personal decision. I always feel better having a new baby to fuss over.

T said...

Thanks for all your help. I feel a lot better than I did earlier.