Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

13 January 2004

So far, so good...

Well, I survived my first day. I have about a two hour wait before my first class started, because my other half has a class at 9:30, but mine isn't until 11:00. To combat boredom, I found Kaskaskia Under The French Regime in the library again, and wrote a few notes from the appendix. It has some family history in it; I have some ancestry from the Kaskaskia area, and there's some censuses in the appendix, along with some marriage records and baptisms from a few parishes in the area. My dad wanted this book for Christmas, but I guess I'll see about some other time. My only bet is to order it, as no bookstores I have been to have it.

Both of my teachers are unique in their own ways. First I have Elementary Algebra again. My teacher has this habit of nodding her head a few times after telling us something important. The last time I took this class, the homework we had mainly consisted of doing the odd-numbered problems with a few even-numbered ones added. This time, we have more even-numbered problems put in. It was a bit easier last semester because I could look up all my answers to make sure I did them right. It's a bit difficult to make sure I did the problem right if I don't have the answers to check. Other than that, this should be easier and I should do better.

My American History II teacher is a very interesting person, to say the least. He starts off class by having us close our eyes and clearing our minds. While we do this, he puts a slip of paper on each of our desks. Then he has us all open our eyes, look at the slip of paper, and write the first thing that came to our minds. He had written: The French, The British, The Germans, and The Americans, and wanted us to write three things about these people. Then he collected them and told us that he was psychic, and could read our minds and tell what kind of things we had written. It didn't go over too well; he demonstrated with the Germans and Americans. We guessed two of the American ones right, but only one German one. Then he told us a bit about himself. He said, "You'll notice something about me. I'm not from here. I'm from Oklahaoma." ^_^ He's actually of German descent, but grew up in Oklahoma. His accent is noticeable, but not thick. He wrote a book, but it was in German, so unless we knew the language, we couldn't read it. He also says he's working on writing a book about what Americans think of Germans, and some of the identities we assigned to them will go into his book. He likes to make small jokes, and only every once in a while do most people catch on to them. Along with our text, we also have to read four others: The Things They Carried, Inside The Vicious Heart, A Righteous Cause, and Southern Horrors and Other Writings. (This shouldn't be too hard... ^_^)

"Everybody do the Michigan Rag! Everybody likes the Michigan Rag!"

No comments: